Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

New Mortal Kombat Soundtrack Music Review

To start things off, my girlfriend and I finally decided to listen to the new Mortal Kombat's Soundtrack and needless to say we were greatly pleased with what we heard, but were disappointed in a few songs.

Quite possibly one of the most hyped up games of the year, Mortal Kombat! If you're an old fan or not, this game is a must have according to most everyone who's even touched the case.


After I saw the original MK comercial with the Skrillex remix of Reptile's theme, I had very high expectations for this. And most of them were met, with the exception of a few.


Top 3 songs that blew us away


1) Skrillex - Reptile Theme ~ To start it off we'll begin with one that everyone has heard. It's the song their trying to sell the game with, and for good reason. It's a GREAT dubstep track from a great muscial prodigy. In typical Skrillex fashion, he made it dirty and mixed it perfectly. I'm typically the asshole that will criticize a song till it is no more, but with this song I can't help but say it's perfect. Even if you don't like dubstep, you can't help but get pumped when you hear this song. 

2) Run DMT - Baraka's Theme ~ THIS SONG GAVE MY EARS ORGASMS! I wasn't expecting Baraka to get a good theme but I decided to listen to this for pure shits and giggles, and I'm so glad I did. The drop in this song is so violent I had to replay it several times to make sure I heard it right. I honestly never hear this term used, but  this song is one of those in a small sub-genre I would call "Dark Dubstep" This song gives me chills! Its dark, it's violent, and slightly unsettling. Perfect for Baraka.


3) Bird Peterson - Goro's Theme ~ To be perfectly honest, I had never even heard of Bird Peterson before this song, but I really wish I had. This also was another fighter I wasn't expecting a great theme song from. It's an epic mix that caught me off guard. It has a very Halloween-y feel to it and I love it! It's a great track to just get up and start shuffling too (which I did) and a fun song to blast over your subs in your car.




Top 3 biggest disappointments

1) Harvard Bass - Helado (Sub-Zero's Theme) ~ Don't get me wrong it's a alright track, but I was expecting MUCH MORE for Sub Zero's theme. I mean he's one of those characters everyone uses. The song has a very chilling effect and it's good for Sub Zero, but there could have been so much more than a basic clap, house hi-hat, and bass hit with a slight oscillator in the background. It was just a big let down overall.

2) Sounds of Stereo - Shao Kahn's Theme ~ It doesn't get more basic than this song. Basic kick, basic hat, basic, basic, basic. I personally didn't like SoS to begin with, but come on guys, you had a chance to pull something awesome out of your ass, but instead you go in fruity loops and make this. And this was for Shao Khan! Thembodiment of evil!  WTF?! This doesn't do Shao any justice what so ever. Way to suck guys. This has to be the worst song on the soundtrack.
3) Them Jeans - Kano's Theme ~ This actually isn't a bad song. I quite enjoy it. But this was the song for Kano. Kano. The guy with the metal face and the laser and shit. I'll give it that it does have a very techy-feel which does match Kano. I just thought that the the leader of the Black Dragon organization would have a darker toned song. Even this version, has a fairly evil feeling behind it. Is it a bad song? No in the slightest. Could it had been done better? Way better.

Keep in mind theres still loads of great songs on this soundtrack. I just listed and reviewed those that caught my attention most. There's still Johnny Cage'sRaiden's (which...doesn't fit Raiden but does...you'll see what I mean), Mileena'sKung Lao's, Scorpion's (which was done by JFK of MSTRKRFT), and Liu Kang's, all of which are great mix's and fit their characters very well. I highly suggest checking out this soundtrack.

23 comments:

  1. Epic soundtrack, Loved MK2011. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks liek a nice soundtrack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward for this game!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I really need to go play Mortal Kombat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely hate Skrillex but I gotta admit, this song is pretty amazing.
    I'm going to download this soundtrack. seems good. the Run DMT song is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I really enjoyed the soundtrack, especially since I picked up MK at Target for 35 bucks :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE barakas theme !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skrillex is pretty intense, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so the soundtrack is good? I'd have never guessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha great post, gotta love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it has run dmc, then its amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you said, dubstep ain't my thing but still I have to admit that that first track is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly not a fan but a lot of other people seem to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't say that I've played the game, but I'm glad you enjoyed the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huh....never thought about listening to the soundtrack. Its a fighting game just I just watch the punching and kicking sounds

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like sub zeros theme, I didnt think it was dissapointing

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Dave Comparing it to Scorpions and most others, it was just a big let down to me. It's an ok song, it has a chilling effect, I just had bigger hopes for such a widely used character.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been able to play the game yet, despite me owning it for two weeks now. But the soundtrack is awesome. I want to see one of those with Streetfighter music now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whaaaaaaaaaaat. I didn't know Skrillex was gonna be on here. Totally caught me off guard. It's a sick track. ><

    ReplyDelete